The way to hell is paved with good intentions, as they say.
There are many quotes, recommendations or advices which are repeated like mantras, passed on by self help gurus as ‘the secret’ and brain washed into others or oneself. They are (hopefully) well intended, but really just one-dimensional respectively a dead-end.
‘Never give up‘ is one of them.
I think you could (and am tempted to say you should) definitely give up a lot of things – with great benefits.
The Give Up list is long:
- The identification with who you think you are = your identity (You are not your past, experiences, thoughts and feelings.)
- Resistance against the present moment (=reality)
- “Making sense” (or rationality) as a primary orientation in life (I’m sure that doesn’t make a lot of sense 😉)
- Following along with what others say.
- The identification and validation with your peer groups.
- The belief that your beliefs are how life is.
- The belief that there is a rule book to life. (And once you know them you can master it. Please give that one up quickly, it causes a hell of suffering)
- The belief that any accomplishment will make you better.
- The belief that you need fixing.
- The belief that you are defined by or dependant on your circumstances.
- The belief that life has a purpose. (how wonderful is that ❤️)
- The belief that you need to earn your right to exist. (In reality there are no duties here on planet earth, just freedom)
- Competing with others.
- Your control strategies and believing the illusion that you could manage your life or control your circumstances. (That’s really the expression of an insane mind, which we are all prone to)
- Closing your heart and resisting pain (e.g. negative emotions, conflict or critique – give that up to FEEL and WITNESS what is).
- The belief that life is a bland mechanical process (e.g. going to school, studying, working, retiring, diying… it’s NOT)
- The belief that you don’t belong here. (You ARE part of everything by BEING here – no action could ever affect that.)
- The belief that life is personal.
What do you think?
I have more in stock, but you might get the picture? 😉
And just to make sure that I don’t come across like I think I’m beyond that. When I’m writing ‘you’ and pointing my finger to you, there are at least 3 fingers pointing back to me. 😉 It’s an invitation to all of us to be very conscious on what we chose to focus on.
Though as I’m writing, its most probably one of
the best advices ever – GIVE UP!
Your personal attachement to life. And falsely believing you could personally work it out. Only when you give up = let go = surrender your personal (=egoic) agenda, the deeper truth of our being can become tangible.
So please GIVE UP. You can thank me later 😘
For a matter of interest, I also contemplated what would be something I would never want to give up? My conditioning definitely has some proposals 😅, but in reality it really just comes down to being true to my Self. Which is really just the one Self.
Now I’m curious – what do you think? What do you want to give up or don’t?
Does that make any sense at all? 😅